Saturday, April 14, 2012

Labyrinth

I recently watched the movie Labyrinth. I wasn’t sure to expect except for an adventure filled with monsters and David Bowie. After watching it for the first time, I was entertained. It was a very quirky film filled with goblins, magic, and David Bowie dancing in really tight pants sporting a very powerful mullet hair-do.

I did a little bit of research after the viewing and I was in awe. I found out that the incredible monsters in the film were all puppets! I was surprised at the level of detail in the performance of the characters.

While there was much subtlety in the acting, I thought there were moments when it was overly cheesy. I thought the movie delivered a lot of dialogue to the point where I got bored. I felt like the heroine’s inflections in her voice acting were either nonexistent or fake. While I enjoyed the songs in the movie, I thought David Bowie dancing around in really right pants was very odd. David Bowie’s portrayal of the villain was something like I’ve never seen before. It was a refreshing experience on the archtype.

Overall , I thought the mood and atmosphere of labyrinth was fun. There were some parts where it fell apart for me though. For example. there was a couple of sections where the green screen compositing was poorly rotoscoped and it brought me out of the world for the moment.. I could see the pixely character rotoscope lines (on the dancing head tossing creatures in the forest) were wiggling in the foreground. The lighting on the characters did not match the exposure of the lighting on the set and it read as very fake to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment